Friday, January 18, 2013

Birth Story-Part 3 (the final chapter)

This was around 11 am, and they came in to check me shortly and told me I was at around 7 1/2 or 8 and that since I had now gotten the epidural it more then likely would slow down my labor and they would give me some pitocin if that did happen...seemed okay.  Right after this my mom showed up and we had a little pow wow in my room while the husband slept :l
must have been tired from all that child birthing he was doing.  right?  welllllllll they came back to check me a little while later and told us that I hadn't been progressing at all, and by now my contractions had all but STOPPED, so they said they were going to break my water and see if my labor would start on its own again...so they did and I didn't feel anything AT ALL.  They then told us they would come back again and check to see how I was progressing in a couple of hours.  For the time being we watched regular TV tried to take some naps and just hung out.  THEY finally came back and said that now my contractions had pretty much stopped completely so they were going to go ahead and start me on some pitocin...which I was fine by because I wanted to meet my little baby already :)

andddddddd all the time at the hospital the MOST annoying part was this!
this stupid finger thing was sooooo annoying I swear I hated having it on and it was so uncomfortable!

I don't even know why but it was probably the MOST uncomfortable thing that I had to have on the entire time I was in the hospital...

they kept coming to check me every couple of hours and telling me my progress, and then FINALLY the pitocin was working and I could see my contractions on the screen now!  It was pretty cool to think that your body was working but you couldn't feel any of the pain :)  sooooooo finally at 5 o'clock the dr came in to check me and said "okay, you're at ten, it's time to start pushing!  BUT know that since it is your first baby and you have an epidural it could take like 3 hours." WHAT?!!?  3 hours!?!!  OMG I knew there was NO way that I could push a baby out for 3 hours!  AND I wanted to see the presidential debate so I told baby Carter, okay it's finally time for us to meet you and I know you want to watch the debates so we have 1 hour!  :)  AND at first it was so weird because I couldnt feel ANYTHING, my bad my epidural had run out right before I had hit ten so I pressed the button AND I was EXTRA numb, it was so annoying because now I couldn't feel ANYTHING, eventually the epidural wore off enough so that I could feel a little bit of my contractions and was finally able to make some traction...a couple of really good pushes and baby Carter's head was out!  :)  the nurse said his head is out, and I looked at the husband and said "Really?" his face alone told me yes!  His eyes were huge and he couldn't believe it.  Finally @ 5:48 on October 22nd baby Carter was born into this world :) and he was gorgeous!

I don't know if I had mentioned this here on the blog or not, but when I was pregnant with Carter I had decided that I wanted JUST the two of us in the room when Carter was born, I figured it would be nice to spend some time just the three of us together before everyone else got to meet him, selfish?  maybe, but it was the BEST decision I EVER made!!  Once Carter was out they placed him on my chest and even thinking about that exact moment makes my heart skip a beat, I looked up at the husband and looked at my baby and couldn't believe that we had just gotten a miracle placed in our arms, someone that was ours!  :D  We looked at our baby in almost disbelief and the husband took lots of pictures :)

he was so cute! :)  I even told him over and over again, I can't believe how cute you are!  :)  I am glad that I decided to just have the 2 of us in the room and that is exactly how I want all of our kids to be born, it was like we got to take him our child being born into the world together and it was amazing :)  (is it bad that I am literally tearing up thinking about that moment?)  and P.S. EVERYONE'S right, once that baby is placed in your arms you can't even believe you have so much love for something so tiny even now 3 months later I still can't believe that I have so much love for a human so tiny but it's possible and if you're pregnant or get pregnant you will see, and if your'e a mom already you already know exactly what i'm talking about :)

EVERYONE came in to meet the little guy and the next day we went home, and it was such a great birth story, really I'm hoping and praying the rest of my kids are born this easy :)






2 comments:

Jasmyne! said...

The Lactaid screenshot on the tv. made me chuckle! Did they take nail polish off your nail for the finger thing? Seems like Carter didn't give you any trouble, he knew momma was serious! I can still remember when they placed Israel in my arms for the first, such an overwhelming love that you cant really explain! Carter is precious! BTW...your guest post is live! :)

Laura said...

I hated that finger thing too!! it was sooo annoying.