Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Baby Crib Meltdown!

I love that ever since I've been preggers EVERY one PLUS their Mom takes it upon themselves to give them their WONDERFUL advice, doesn't matter what it is they just give it to me!  MOST of the time I just laugh about it, and think it's funny that everyone KNOWS everything about everything, and go about my day.

Welllllll today I was talking to a co-worker about how I have so much to do before the baby comes and FIRST thing we need to do ASAP is paint the baby's crib!  You see, my cousin was VERY generous and gave us her daughters old crib that she literally slept in five times!  SO basically it's BRAND NEW so we figured why are we going to buy a crib when this one was given to us for FREE!?  Right?  Well, the only problem is that this crib is CHERRY wood, and I HATE Cherry, not for everything I mean it's cute in bedrooms and stuff but I don't like it for a little boys room, or maybe it's because it doesn't go with what I have in mind for Carter's room!  

free crib
I mean it's a simple crib and would look great in his room, IF it was a different color!  So we decided when she gave it to us that we were going to paint it!!  I really really wanted this crib!
gray crib
AND we figured that we could easily paint the above crib this beautiful gray color!  Right?  I mean it can't be THAT hard...and it will really pop!  So we went to Home Depot last week, and bought the perfect gray to go with his green wall and existing bedroom set, and we LOVED it the colors all matched perfectly!  The husband painted the room last weekend, and this weekend he was gearing up to paint BOTH the crib and the changing table a cute gray color!

That brings us to today, when I was telling my co-worker about my husband painting the crib and she looked at me and said, "you're going to paint the crib?  I don't think you should do that! In my honest opinion, because it could be harmful to the baby!"  I didn't know what to say, I hadn't even thought to ask or make sure that the paint was non-toxic -.-  In my defense I did think about it BEFORE I went out and actually bought the paint, I had read all about it and it said just make sure you get a NON-TOXIC paint!  Okay perfect!  BUT when I went to Home Depot to actually buy the paint, did I remember to check for toxicity?  Ummm that would be a BIG FAT NO!  Am I already the worlds worst mom???  :(  

So, I immediately text the husband and had a semi-meltdown about how I don't know what to do because we don't know if the paint is toxic, I mean we could potentially be poisoning our child right??  AND I searched again a MILLION times, painting a baby crib, and everything said just make sure the paint is NON-TOXIC, what the heck is paint toxic?  Because really my dog chewed my walls at my old apartment and I'M POSITIVE that they SPARED the expense and did NOT buy NON-TOXIC paint so does that mean my little Marlee was poisoning herself??

I went to the paint website, and emailed them asking if the specific paint that I bought would be okay to paint a child's crib and we shall see what they come back with.  Really?  Who knew deciding to paint a crib could be so nerve racking....but I mean really, isn't the gray crib just so much cuter!?!  I mean really?

Right now I'm hoping that the paint company will get back to me and let me know rather or not their paint will toxify (i'm positive that's not a word but I can't think of a better one) my baby!  and all things I found online said to just add a clear non-toxic protective coat over whatever paint you choose, so we shall see what happens.  

Anyone have any idea rather or not you can use regular paint on a baby crib?  Anyone ever done it before?  Please let me know!  Thank you :)

8 comments:

Jane said...

You and your husband are so cute! That picture in your header is adorable! And, coming from someone with no kids, and hasn't even thought about them yet so you might want to take it with a grain of salt I think painting will be fine. haha I mean, white ones are always painted. And, I'm pretty sure when they say non-toxic, they mean lead free. Which all paint is. If you're worried though soy based paint would definitely be safe to use! Good luck! I am right there with you, no cherry, but that gray is gorgeous!

Thanks for linking up with Wednesday Walkabout!

Alicia Marie said...

As long as everything is painted 2 weeks before the baby will be around the furniture and room, so it has time to fully dry and air out, you and the baby will be fine! Once something is painted it doesn't harm anyone, it's not like it's lead paint! Just relax, people have a way to make first time moms question EVERYTHING! Believe, I'm going through this too. I'd say paint it and be happy with the nursery, like soooo many other moms.

Unknown said...

I'm sure everything will be fine! The only thing I think I would try and do is find those plastic overs for the tops of the railings for when teething happens so baby Carter isn't chewing on the painted crib, but seriously, I think all will be well! I don't blame you for being concerned! :) Good mama.

Chantal said...

I have no idea! Though my baby chews on her crib, so I'd want a good paint.

Thanks for participating in yesterday's Wednesday Walkabout!

Chantal @ Scattered Seashells
www.scatteredseashells.com

Megan said...

I'm not entirely sure, but I would think as long as it's lead free, it should be fine! I saw a preggo blog mom talk about Sherwin Williams and a VOC free paint a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure what the difference is honestly!! But yes, people really do give lots of unsolicited advice! I love the gray though!!

Jamie said...

We spray painted my daughters crib white. She's still alive.

Laura Darling said...

It would never even have occurred to me that the paint could somehow be dangerous to a baby. Guess I should hold off on having kids for a while hahaha. Although I did sleep in a painted crib when I was a baby and I'm fine!

Gina said...

Aw I'm sorry! That's terrible! You are definitely NOT a bad mom for that! Your co-worker is a bad co-worker. I'm not sure on this but I've painted MANY things that my daughter plays with/eats on/and is just around constantly, I bet it's okay. For her high chair I just used a thick layer of poly and all is good :)